There are times when you sit on your own - at an alfresco coffee house, or at a bus station just waiting to get home, or just some place where you can remove yourself from the hustle and bustle of the crowd and the white noise of chatters and sounds, feeling a little bit too adult - just wishing that you could live in a place where you will not be bound by the expectant society, consumerism, freemason (hah!) and pre-determined roles of life.
You did not ask to be born, and yet you have no choice but to live. Thus, when I come to think of it, how much of a personal right do I have as a person really? I should get more than I am getting now, definitely. It is unfair how everything seems to 'shape' me into living the life I am living today.
To what extend am I able to make a decision without having to take into consideration the million aspects like family, other people, religion (sorry, just for argument's sake), expectations and all that gunk?
I wonder, what kind of a person I would be if I were not bound by all these margins and molds.. would I be better than I am today, or worse?
I remembered a film I watched which was a huge Life lesson ever - Mr. Nobody (starring Jared Leto) which truly entails the theme of Life and Choices, which always got me thinking that each and every second of my breathing being is a decision point. Life is a series, or a dotted-line, of decision-making moments. And the big whopping question here: Who makes the decisions? Who connects the dots?
Me.
I chose to write this post. I chose to type these words and letters. I chose to switch on my night lamp. I chose to not close my room door. I chose to wear this pajamas. I chose to sit like this and not like that. I chose to not be upstairs watching telly with my brother. I chose to go to Uni. I chose to befriend them and not the others. I chose to like and hate. I chose to buy. I chose to wear. I chose to fall in love. I chose to be hurt. I chose to take action. I chose to say something. I chose not to say anything. And sometimes, I chose not to choose.
I was the one who made the decisions every time I have to make one in my life. Every second, I approved of my own actions, and I made a conscious or non-conscious gesture of 'choosing' something, anything. Either ways, even if I ended up not doing anything, or saying anything, I still did choose.
Which brings us to my ultimate point, about why life is unfair and the fact that I have so little say about how I live my life. Of course, at every point, there will be people and factors influencing our choices. Like this Hari Raya, I didn't like the kain for my kebaya, but my mom insisted that it was jaw-dropping and I looked lovely wearing it. I wouldn't in a million years have bought it if I was shopping on my own. But words from my mom made me buy it.
You see, it seems as if I was pushed into buying the kain, and I was pushed into wearing something unlike myself, but truth is, it was my choice. I made that decision of submitting to my mother, and choosing to fight back only a little as opposed to strictly disagreeing and sticking to my own fashion sense. I chose to try it on and make her persuade me more, even though I knew I didn't like it the first time I laid eyes on it.
So yes, moral of the story is that it would really be unfair to yourself if you do not realize from now that whatever events that took place in your life were all hand-picked by you and no one else.
If you feel like going for a bungee-jump but your best friend made you feel awful by saying that you might die hanging upside down, which was actually coz he/she was scared to do it him/herself, stop a second and slap yourself in the face. Try to remind yourself again, that if you don't do that jump, you may regret it and worst, you can't blame your bestfriend for telling you otherwise, but you have yourself to be blamed. You made that decision to listen to him/her. In simple equation, you chose not to do the jump, and if you regret it, you can only blame yourself.
Even if you did die hanging while doing the bungee jump, you still can't blame your bestfriend, because you chose not to listen to him/her when he/she asked you not to do it. haha!
Therefore, now that you know whatever you do, you only have yourself to blame and answer to, don't you feel rather good actually? I do feel good when I think about things that way, it made everything much clearer. In fact, it has made me more fearless as I feel that I can't really screw up if I am the only person that I am responsible to.
So next time you're in a rut, trying to figure out how to win a battle of your desires versus others', look at it from this perspective!
roger and out.
ps: Selamat Hari Raya :)
1 comment:
wow. raye2 nih ko silap emo mode nih.
Post a Comment