from Malaysian Philharmonic Petronas
I feel like she has come a long way to get to where she is right now, and it's only fair if we Malaysians give her the support and credit she deserves. And for that, I will be there Yuna! :D
To be honest, it was more of a love-at-first-listen with me and Bunkface rather than with Yuna. I didn't like Dan Sebenarnya and I thought that was a bad single to make a debut in the music scene. But I guess, my opinion was rather unpopular, as apparently she received a lot of rave from that song. Only logical, as the local music industry made up of mostly Malay-speaking listeners. And so I was quick to judge. I ignored her great voice and the raw talent she has just based on that one song. I turned to Wani Ardy and compared them; thinking Wani makes better music.
See that's the thing with music and musicians - their music may sound the same, but they're all completely different. Especially for singer/songwriters. You can't really tell the experiences they base from for their songs. So the best singers usually are able to project these experiences and emotions unto their songs - which Yuna successfully did.
It was when my dad decided to commission her for the song Cinta Sempurna for the series on Astro by the same title that I started to take notice.
I then got to listen to After Midnight (which I thought was brilliant; I had goosebumps within the first 5 seconds - but it reminded me of a certain goth band) and then I listened to Backpacking Around Europe, and thought wow this girl is really versatile. I think it was her album, Decorate that changed my mind. Permission has light vocals and heavy rhythm; and I love heavy. What swept me off my feet was the lyrics. Man, were the lyrics heart-breaking! "Empty..is what you'll find here" .. or something like that (hehe, sorry bad memory). Her songs follow a plot; progressive, that you can't really fall asleep or feel bored in between. And the ending, abrupt. Just like how life normally ends.
A classic favorite would be Penakut. I find that most people can express better in their local languages. And this song epitomizes that. Simple words, stark meaning. It unfolds the true story like a conversation with another person. But it was her and the music talking. The song was around 4mins plus, but I just didn't feel it was long!
Penakut by Yuna
And in case you're wondering, yes, I have the original album :) I've started to tell myself to support good artistes by getting their albums whenever I can.
Have you listened to her exclusive-for-USA songs? Coffee and Fears and Frustrations. Not bad. Although I didn't really like the intro to the latter. Cliche. However, the cover of Nirvana's Come As You Are I featured here the other day can make up for that :) I guess she is able to get more inspiration by stepping out of her comfort zone.
I wish her all the luck in the world.
p/s: She has a Wiki, do you know that? Waiting for the time I have my own :p

1 comment:
i loveee the song penakut..razin intro me to it..so beautiful & yay her for making ppl notice m'sian talent..:) man i wish i can join u tat nite..but alas,scheduled my minor oral surgery in d morn & by nite surely my face will b swollen!*gulp*
Post a Comment